Monday, June 14, 2010

The Disappearing Bean....

Posted on 8:10 AM by Trimblog

On Friday night, I was on the phone talking to a friend.  When I got off the phone, I went to check on Claire--she had moved a chair over to the counter and was playing with some red beans that I keep in a jar for decoration.  The first thing she says to me is "bean up my nose".  Sure enough, I look up her nose and I can see the bean.  I tried to have her blow her nose, but it wouldn't come out.  I checked again and it was a lot higher.  It was about 8:45 p.m. so we hurried into KidsCare since they close at 10.    I thought it would be a fairly quick procedure and had no idea at this point how long of a night it was going to be. We had to wait for half an hour with some really sick kids.  I was wishing there was a separate place we could be since that's all I wanted was to get sick kids.  We eventually got in to the office and waited at least another half hour--the kids were both so tired and ornery.  The doctor came in, looked up her nose and couldn't see it.  We tried a couple of other things, but still couldn't find it.  There was only so much they could do so he recommended we go to Primary Children's to make sure they got it out--it was especially bad since it was something organic.

I dropped Jaxon off at my brother's house at 11:00 and drove to Primary's.  At least we pick good nights--my sister is an ER nurse at Primary's and happened to be working.  We've been to Primary's twice--once for this and once for Jaxon's concussion-both times my sister has been working.  I called her and let her know we were on our way.  Luckily there was no wait since the Friday before it was a 2-3 hour wait.  It was pretty much the same story-they couldn't find the bean.  Poor Claire--we had to keep waking her up to stick something else up her nose.  They decided to do a procedure to try and get it out.   They stuck a catheter up her nose, blew up a little balloon, and pulled it out. They had to hold her down the whole time and Claire was saying, "Amy, Amy, no, no, hold me." ( I assured the nurses and doctors the she was my child even though she doesn't call me mom).   It's so hard to watch your child being held down and crying for you.  Unfortunately nothing came out.  It was about 1 a.m. and Claire and I were both exhausted.  The doctors told us to watch carefully for a fever, a strong smell, or swelling in case it's still up there.  It also could've fallen out or she could have swallowed it.  We left the hospital at about 1:30.  She keeps telling everyone how she put a bean up her nose and how the doctor got it out.  She loved having "Mashelle" as her nurse which I'm glad she didn't seem too upset over everything she went through. She told me the next morning, "I put 1, 2, 3, 5 beans up my nose."  Needless to say, there are no longer red beans on my counter.  We have no clue what happened to it, but I'm hoping she will not try it again.

To top off the weekend, Jaxon bumped his mouth and has a chipped tooth.  He keeps telling me that he can't touch his top and bottom teeth together anymore. I'll be taking him to the dentist this week.  I came down with something on Saturday, probably from the Kids Care.  We still managed to have some fun.  We had a luncheon at my Grandma's and Grandpa's house, Jaxon played in his last soccer game and got a trophy that he LOVES and I took the day off on Sunday and got some much needed rest and am feeling much better.  At least we had one healthy person in our family-thanks hon for taking good care of us.  I think we have all recovered from the weekend.

No Response to "The Disappearing Bean...."

Leave A Reply